[GLLUG] Penguicon 8.0 in 2010

Stanley C. Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Tue May 19 11:54:08 EDT 2009

Ron is exactly right.  I encourage everyone to readjust their way of
thinking about the computer lounge at the Con.  It is, first, foremost,
and in its entirety, one of the many facets of Penguicon and under the
control of the Con Chair.  This year it looks like Marshal will be
volunteering to head up the lounge, as a Con volunteer.  We can all
volunteer to help Marshal, as many of us will.  Please, just remember
that GLLUG is not running the lounge, not responsible for it, nor in
charge of it.  There has been considerable confusion about this in the
past, myself included.  Think of it as another Penguicon function that
operates just like everything else.

If Marshal does volunteer (or perhaps already has) to be in charge of
the lounge, it will be as a Penguicon staff volunteer, not as a GLLUG
member, per se.  In any given year, the Con Chair has complete control
over virtually everything.  There doesn't have to be a computer lounge
at all.  If there is one, the Con Chair will give guidance to the
volunteer in charge how it is to be configured.  Let's just wait to see
what Marshall (or whoever is selected to be the volunteer in charge of
the lounge) says the lounge is to be like, then do what we can to make
it happen.

Stan