[GLLUG] vim ESC

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Mon Nov 23 14:03:19 EST 2009

Quoting Brent Barker <b.w.barker at smokejive.net>:

> Does it bother anyone else that even though vim's paradigm is to stay on the
> home row, the oft-used command to return to normal/command mode is ESC? I've
> been learning vim over the past few weeks, and it seems terrifically
> inconsistent. Has anyone remapped it to make more sense?

No.  That has worked very well for the last 30 years, and nobody is
looking to change that anytime soon.  Besides, hard to come up with
another key that won't cause trouble.

Vi isn't built to make you comfortable.  Vi is built to get the job
done and done well under really lousy conditions.  Part of the
original design spec from Bill Joy: must work on his crappy 300 baud
connection.

If you need more sensible editors pico, nano and emacs are top choices.

Clay
--
Online RPG Campaign Planning
http://www.rpg-campaign.com