[GLLUG] Spam Comments

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Thu Aug 5 09:13:32 EDT 2010

On 8/5/10 12:14 AM, Marshal Newrock wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:53:09 -0400
> Chick Tower <c.e.tower at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see someone named lymanknap is spamming the comments of the events
>> on the GLLUG website, and the main page has a lot of spam in the
>> comments. Is there anything we can do to prevent such spam but allow
>> members to leave comments?  Is there anyone in GLLUG who approves new
>> users for posting privileges?
>
> For now, I've deleted a bunch of spam comments and blocked several
> users.  Next will be better ways of preventing comment spam.

I had this problem on another drupal site.  I strongly recommend
installing the captcha module and turning it on for the comment and the
registration forms.  When I did that the problem went away.

If the actual perpetrators can be found, there is a very effective
solution involving restraints and a ball gag, but it's usually a lot of
work to track these guys down.

Clay