[GLLUG] hardware help

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Tue Dec 14 22:21:44 EST 2010

On 12/14/10 22:11, Stanley C. Mortel wrote:
> I'm trying to determine the firmware version of my wireless card in a
> Thinkpad R32.  What I've found on-line is as follows:
>
>> Use hostap_diag wlan0
>>

>> NICID: id=0x8013 v1.0.0 (PRISM II (2.5) Mini-PCI (SST parallel flash))
>> PRIID: id=0x0015 v1.1.0
>> STAID: id=0x001f v1.4.9 (station firmware)
>>
>> Or check with dmesg:
>>

>> wlan0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
>> wlan0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
>> wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9
> But neither of these work.  hostap_diag is not a recognized command
> and dmesg doesn't return anything about wlan0.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stan

Several species of Thinkpads have a switch, usually on the front side of
the laptop
that turns the wireless card on and off.  I think this is one of the
most stupid things
I have ever seen on a Thinkpad; nearly all my Thinkpad users have had
problems
by inadvertently switching it off.  I don't know if R series have this,
but be sure
that this is on.

Are you sure your os will call this device wlan?  Have you looked for other
devices?

If you got a FreeBSD or OpenBSD install disk the kernel probe would show you
stuff.  I'm not sure of FreeBSD but OpenBSD has a monolithic kernel, in
that it
has all the device drivers that are known, so it should be able to spot it.

--STeve Andre'