[GLLUG] nook ereader and sheet music

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Sat Feb 27 22:47:41 EST 2010

On Saturday 27 February 2010 20:07:30 Clay Dowling wrote:
> Julie Code wrote:
> > I bought a nook ereader thinking I would save money from buying a
> > ipad.  But the problem is is that I tried taking a pdf file and
> > hooking up the device to my laptop and dragging the pdf file into the
> > documents folder of the nook.  Nothing showed up just a bunch of
> > jibberish.  Then I changed the pdf file into a epub file.  This
> > worked--  but only for the first page of the sheet music.  The other
> > pages looked like a bunch of jibberish.  Does anyone know why this is
> > happening? So my question is does anyone know why the file was good
> > for the first page and then turned to hell on the others? the program
> > i used was calibre
>
> The chief problem is that all of the ebook readers are sad, inferior
> products.  The defacto standard for electronic publishing is pdf, and
> readers which can't handle that are destined to failure.  Plus, the
> whole incident with 1984 on the Kindle points out the biggest flaw in
> subscription-controlled devices.  You own your books for exactly as long
> as they want you too, and no more.
>
> My recommendation would be to return the product and save that money for
> a PDF capable device (e-paper has prototypes that compete with the ipad
> and support PDF) that isn't connected to a subscription service.
>
> Clay

I agree.  Castrated devices aren't worth having.  The question that arises is
which, if any of them is a general purpose device?

I want to be able to read 1) ascii, 2) postscript, 3) PDFs, 4) html, 5) MS
Word, 6) RTF, 7) .LIT files, 8) LaTex

Other possibilities might be 9) word star, 10) word perfect

Whats out there that can do most of these? I'd say that 1 to 6 are really
important.

--STeve Andre'