[GLLUG] Looking for some open source projects (local) to aid in

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Fri Jan 1 20:34:13 EST 2010

Steven Sayers wrote:
> I've been studying programming quite a lot lately and I was wondering
> if there were any programming projects any of you were engaged in that
> I could assist with, I'm most familiar with java.

I can't say I'm "engaged with" any open-source projects,  as I'd have to
get permission from my current employer's lawyers (and they're a big
company with a lot of lawyers) to submit a public contribution
anywhere.  However,  I do have a few pet projects I'd like to see
implemented,  and I could send you my notes on some of them off-list if
you might be able to do something with them.  A few are:

1.  Add Office 2007 (multiple XML in a ZIP, like OpenOffice) or Office
2003 XML import/export support to JExcelAPI.  (The current maintainers
have said they have no intention of doing so themselves)
2.  Add legacy sound support (win16 audio functions and better PC
speaker emulation) to Wine.
3.  Defragmentation support for ext2/3/4fs.  Or, at least, a nice
graphical display of the way in which a filesystem is fragmented.   (The
graphics could be done in Java,  but there's probably a need for a new
kernel interface to actually move parts of files around.)

--
DLL