[GLLUG] Extract audio from YouTube video?

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Mon Jan 18 12:52:36 EST 2010

Frank Dolinar wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to extract audio from a YouTube video as an
> MP3 or wave file so it can be recorded to a CD?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Frank

Yup, this is easy.

1. Install a Firefox extension that lets you save YouTube videos to the
hard drive. There are many, and in fact you can do this without
installing anything, but using an extension makes it easier. I use
NetVideoHunter.

2. The YouTube video will be downloaded as an MPEG-4 or FLV file. Either
way, the audio codec should be AAC, so use ffmpeg to rip the audio from
the video file like this:

$ ffmpeg -i squirrels_on_rollerskates.mp4 -vn -acodec copy audio.aac

3. Use mplayer to convert to wav:

$ mplayer -ao pcm audio.aac -ao pcm:file=audio.wav

Then just burn away.

Charles
--
http://bityard.net