[GLLUG] new guy to Linux, need a few reccomendations

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Wed Jan 20 19:45:02 EST 2010

Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, guys.   I'll try to install Fluxbox, and see how
> that works.   I know nothing about BSD, so now is probably a good time
> to start learning.  what are some good resources for BSD?

First, Fluxbox is awesome.  Light weight but still looks nice and acts
like a modern window manager.  We run a kiosk machine at Penguicon using
similar hardware, using fluxbox, and it works pretty darned well.

Second, OpenBSD is pretty powerful, and most everything you need can be
found at http://www.openbsd.org.  It's also not a good starter UNIX.  It
was written assuming that you knew what you were doing.  It's incredibly
well documented and will run on almost any hardware. If you understand
how UNIX works and are cool with the command line it's a great OS.
There are no GUI admin tools though, and if you can't run your system
from the command line you'll hate it.

Clay