[GLLUG] Dynamic Range Modifier

Marr marr at copper.net
Mon Jul 26 10:01:43 EDT 2010

On Sunday 25 July 2010 12:23:39am Chick Tower wrote:
> Do any of you know of a utility to reduce the dynamic range of MP3
> files?

Consider the 'normalize' command-line utility, Chick. It's available in
Slackware 12.1 (maybe from my GSB add-on or maybe in default Slackware), so
you may already have it available if you still have Slackware around.

It manipulates '.wav' files, though, not MP3. But I suspect there are ways
around that, especially since the 'man normalize' page talks about MP3 pretty
extensively (e.g. "MP3 files are "adjusted" by setting a relative volume
adjustment frame in their ID3 tags.").

I used 'normalize' once, over 2 years ago, on some WAV files, but didn't
really mess with MP3 files much, so I can't recall much. (I've also used it a
couple of times when making DVD menus, to adjust the audio level of the
menu's background music.)

HTH....

Regards,
Bill Marr