[GLLUG] Dynamic Range Modifier

Marr marr at copper.net
Mon Jul 26 14:41:03 EDT 2010

On Monday 26 July 2010 11:42:37am Ian Walker wrote:
> Speaking as an audio guy, a compressor (as recommended before) is a far
> better tool for what you're looking for than normalize.
>
> See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
> vs
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
>
> Basically, normalization is a linear process of volume, increasing the gain
> of the entire selection by an equal amount. What a compressor does is bring
> the average volume across the entire selection closer to even. It does this
> by decreasing (compressing) the louder portions by a given ratio, therefor
> making the volume of the entire selection more consistent.
>
> Normalizing AFTER compressing can be very useful if the compressor doesn't
> have an output gain control - many modern software options have what's
> called "makeup gain" built in, basically increasing the volume
> automatically (therefor removing the loss of perceived volume) on its way
> back out of the effect.
>
> --
> Ian!
> walkeri1 at msu.edu

Ian (seems to have) sent this just to me and I assume he meant to also send it
to the list (or at least to Chick).

Thanks for the clarification and URLs, Ian -- much appreciated. (I actually do
understand dynamic range quite well, but I don't deal with it much in the
audio realm.)

It wasn't clear to me whether Chick wanted to process each of several MP3
files _individually_ (reducing the dynamic range in a single MP3 file,
without consideration of the other files) or to process the MP3 files
collectively, so that the volume of all files was more in sync. Or maybe he
wants to do both.

Regards,
Bill Marr