[GLLUG] Positions open at my company

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Wed Jun 9 09:45:38 EDT 2010

We have several positions open at my current employer for software
engineers, technical support and technical writers.

Positions:

Software Engineer

  You need to be competent in C, and some scripting background (in a
variety of languages) wouldn't hurt.  But solid C skills are a must.  If
you can't implement a linked list without hurting yourself, skip this
position.

Sr. Software Engineer

  You need to be competent in C, as well as being an all-around bright
person.  I'm not sure what they're actually looking for, but one of the
positions they're trying to fill was just vacated by somebody who helps
write IETF standards.

Software Engineer Build

  You should be comfortable setting up build systems for complex
software, like operating systems.

Technical Writer

  I honestly don't know what the requirements are.  The products are
network monitoring and security, so familiarity in those areas would be
good.

I've been working here for six months, and I love it.  It's challenging,
and at times I feel overwhelmed with all of the new things that I have
to learn.  But it's a great work environment with lots of good, smart
people.  Everybody seems to be dedicated to making sure that the team
succeeds.  Management is committed to doing things right, rather than as
fast and as cheap as possible, because every time we rush, our sins have
come back to bite us.

To give you an idea of what it's like here: one of the office hobbies is
keeping tabs on the goose, duck and muskrat families living in the pond
behind us (sadly, no muskrat babies this year, as momma got eaten by a
hawk in February).  A few weeks ago, we held an office party to welcome
in the new staff.  My boss and the receptionist had to leave
mid-afternoon to get more beer.  Also, they spring for premium coffee
from a local roaster.  It costs about twice what the better grocery
store coffees cost, and it's totally worth it.

If you think you can do the job, and you want to check it out, forward
your resume to me and I'll get it in the hands of our recruiter.

Clay