[GLLUG] WinXP Question (redux)

frank.dolinar at comcast.net frank.dolinar at comcast.net
Wed Sep 1 20:54:47 EDT 2010

Hi, everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
I wish I could say that something had worked. Nothing has.

Here's what I know for the second round:
1) I'm using DHCP for all but one of the systems in my house, the exception being the server. After a number of conversations with various GLLUG members, I decided that system should have its own static IP.
2) "ipconfig /all" returns nothing. It's as if there is no network capability in the computer. Works just fine under Ubuntu (dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 & WinXP Pro SP2). [Why am I not surprised?]
3) I did not (intentionally) disable my network interface under WinXP. If there's a way to check that that I haven't already tried, I'm interested in knowing.
4) Karl, I worked through the notes you provided. No joy.
5) Steve, there isn't a separate ethernet card in the box, the NIC is integral to the mainboard (MSI K8N Neo4)
6) ping 127.0.0.1 works just fine. Nothing else does.
7) Network cable on my Mac is separate from the network cable on my Ubuntu/WinXP system. Cable isn't the issue, nor is the NIC.
8) Stan's idea of a large rubber mallet (to be used as an attention getting device) has some appeal.
9) The workgroup name probably doesn't make any difference that I can tell. The default "MSHOME" doesn't work, nor do any of the other suspects I'm likely to use. In addition, this WinXP is the only Microsoft operating system currently active in the house.
10) I don't have either Symantec nor McAfee AV installed. I use AVG 9.

That's about it for now. WinXP refuses to see a network connection, whereas Ubuntu, using the same physical connection has no problem. Indeed, I'm sending this note from the Ubuntu side of that computer.

Any further comments, suggestions, Bronx Cheers... will be received in the spirit they are offered.

Thanks everyone.

Frank

* Frank Dolinar frank.dolinar at comcast.net *
* PO Box 886 www.nanosteps.net *