[GLLUG] Linux Program for Writing Microsoft Compatible Boot Records | LinuxHaxor.net

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Sep 28 21:34:55 EDT 2010

Wow.  Unlike the M$ one, that's a documented feature :)

While on the topic of backups.....  If you are ever plan on moving an
existing Linux to a new hard disk, make sure you keep /boot in the
same partition UUID and/or device (whichever is configured by default
in the fstab).  I just wasted about ten hours this weekend on a hard
drive swap when the UUID and device changed, but the initrd didn't.
The rescue tools rely too much on specific /proc filesystems and the
like, so they wouldn't work in an chroot or boot cd.  I ended up
making a new OS install, stealing bits from /boot, then hacking it
back together and reinstalling kernel rpms.  I wouldn't wish it on any
of you.