[GLLUG] Using Internet Explorer

Robert Roosa roosar at lcc.edu
Mon Aug 1 14:44:42 EDT 2011

It is about knowing first what a web-browser is; second, that there are
alternatives; and third, that the alternatives *might* be better. Those
with a lower than average IQ might be less aware of options, but just
because someone is using Internet Explorer doesn't mean they have a low IQ.

Example: I was once helping a customer fix her computer. I asked her to
walk me through the steps in recreating the problem. She kept telling me
to "click on the internet"--I had to clarify what this meant. What she
meant was, click on the Internet Explorer icon to launch IE.

This doesn't make her a dumb person, in fact, she was a well respected
school teacher for many years. It just means that she either didn't
receive instruction on what a browser is or doesn't know that there are
alternatives.

Also, there is a great deal of web-based software that flat out requires
Internet Explorer (at my work, I use two types of such web-based
software). For some of these computers, alternative browsers aren't
installed because there is no need.

Not to play spoiler, just some food for thought.

Roberto