[GLLUG] System Administrator Wanted

Darryl Weaver darryl at fry-it.com
Thu Aug 18 11:07:26 EDT 2011

We require a Linux System Administrator to join our expanding and
exciting company, Fry-IT Ltd.  We need a system administrator to join
our system team where you will be one of 3 system admins who manage the
infrastructure and also participate in customer projects.

Based in London, Fry-IT is the UK’s fastest growing open source
technology development business. There is just one catch, it’s an
unconventional business and hires only exceptional talent. This is
because once hired you join a team that has no fixed hours of work –
people choose their own hours of work and come into the office when they
need to. We don’t believe in telling each other what to do, rather we
hire people able to learn from each other and work this out for
themselves. We trust each other completely. Employees are given 25% of
the business profits each year and decide how to share this amongst
themselves. The business has grown 30% per annum for the last three
years through the recession.

If you can handle lots of responsibility and this sounds exciting and
not frightening please read on. Joining as an experienced system
administrator, you’ll help manage the data centre hosting infrastructure
and provide customer support in a varied range of circumstances.
We have a varied list of clients including Oxford University, Great
Ormond Street Hospital, Orange and NHS direct.

Your responsibilities will include:

Monitoring system alerts via Nagios for the hosting environment
Providing on-call cover for hosting
Managing new infrastructure installs
Documentation for customers and internal users
Desktop support of Windows and Mac and Linux for internal staff
Mobile support of Iphone and Android apps for internal staff
Network management during failures
Recovery of backups during failures
Customer communication of issues and resolution of issues
Backup management
Replacement of hardware such as disk replacement

Desired Skills and Experience

You must have:
Exceptional honesty and openness
Patience and the ability to listen to feedback
Positive attitude
Ability to work without much supervision and obtain excellent results
Linux system administration - at least 3 years experience
Virtualisation (Either OpenVZ or KVM) - at least 1 year experience

Knowledge of this hosting software is required and you must show some
knowledge and/or experience:
Plone CMS
Zope
Django

We use this software internally so you will either demonstrate
experience or similar experience or be willing to train:

Debain and Ubuntu Linux
APT package management
Debian Custom kernel packaging
Postfix mail server
Cyrus IMAP server
Asterisk PBX server
FreePBX to manage asterisk
OpenLDAP server
Gosa2 user menagement
Mailman mailing list server
Google Apps for business
Salesforce API
DNS Management via DJBDNS and Nictool
OpenSRS domain management
Nominet domain management
Nagios
SVN
Git
Mysql Server
PostgrSQL Server
IPSec VPNs
OpenVPNs

We also manage our own network and so these skills would be good to have
or we can provide training:

TCP/IP debugging
BGP edge routing protocol
OSPF internal routing protocol

Salary would be in the region of £25-30k depending on experience and a
share of company profits each year end.

Please send all CVs to jobs at fry-it.com for consideration