[GLLUG] Fwd: Stanford Introduction to Databases Class

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Aug 30 18:56:10 EDT 2011

On 8/30/11 5:48 PM, Bryan Laur wrote:
> On 8/30/2011 3:21 PM, Don Bosman wrote:
>> Stanford is offering two other courses.
>> One is Introduction to Databases.
>> http://infolab.stanford.edu/~widom/cs145/index.html

I think we should probably also think about holding our own introduction
to databases classes at some point.  Those were well attended in the
past and seem to meet a need among the membership.  We'd probably need
to put this into the October/November time frame.

I propose the following topics:

1. Database design: how to design and modify tables so that you can make
the most of your database.
2. Basic SQL: an introduction to the standardized language that lets you
add, modify and retrieve data from your database.
3. Scripting database access: Introductory scripting of database access
to create usable programs.  I can teach this class in C, C++ or PHP.

Clay