[GLLUG] Networking question

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Dec 14 02:50:37 EST 2011

Overall sound advice, with the exception of checking the dhcp lease times.
Some ISPs, Comcast in particular, routinely break things by making planned
changes and just rely on customers to manually reset equipment.  You can't
rely on the lease times for much anything.  It's much better to just note
when your IP changes, which is the bulk of what the ddns update tools do.

You should be able to find a free or near-free DDNS provider.  It's
trivially easy if supported by your router, and the proper tool for the job.