[GLLUG] New to FreeBSD

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Dec 16 13:29:40 EST 2011

On 12/16/11 1:15 PM, Ben Chavez wrote:

> >df
>
> Filesystem       1k-blocks              Used
>     Avail         Capacity       Mounted on
>
> /dev/ad0s3a        907598               198244           636748
>   24%               /
>
> Devfs                           1
>                        1                    0         100%
>    /dev
>
> /dev/ad0s3e        834574                    698
>  767112            0%             /tmp
>
> /dev/ad0s3f      6807554           6262064
>             886         100%              /usr
>
> /dev/ad0s3d     3347534             129292          2950440
> 4%                /var

HTML email completely blows, BTW.

What's going on is that you have completely filled the /usr partition.
$HOME for your user is probably under /usr/home. Your only solution here
is to rebuild the box with more appropriately sized slices.  If you
intend to use this box for anything you probably also want a larger
partition. The recommended minimum size for slices on FreeBSD is the
bare minimum to boot, not the minimum recommended for a useful system.

I also don't see a slice b, which is where your swap partition lives.
Or is that excluded from df output (compare with mount, which will
definitely show slice b).

Clay