[GLLUG] New to FreeBSD

Thomas Driscoll tad001 at sunn.net
Fri Dec 16 15:19:01 EST 2011

You could create a symlink to another area with more space to fix/hack this problem. This would by you time instead of rebuilding the system completely. The best solution is to rebuild the system and create a good slice layout to best use the disk space you have at your disposal. The /usr directory does not normally grown unless you are installing ports based software packages(usually). If you have installed a good deal of ports packages you might be able to recover some disk space buy cleaning out the /usr/ports/distfiles. Again this is only a temporary fix as installing or upgrading packages will re-download those packages. And again you could symlink the distfiles directory to another area with more space.

The is also the idea of adding in an additional hard drive and mounting it to the /usr/home to give you space for your home directories. Just some thing to think about.

## format

## example
ln -s /mnt/newuser newuser

Tad