[GLLUG] Watson on Jeopardy

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:18:18 EST 2011

I wasn't clear on the texting of the correct questions.  They will be
sent after clues are answered correctly, not to provide Watson with his
(the show always referred to it with male pronouns) responses, but to
provide him the correct responses afterwards.  That's only fair, since
the humans hear the correct response.  One of the examples was a
category that listed holidays and the response would be the month they
fall in.  Watson tried to respond to the first clue in that category,
but it was obvious he had no idea how to respond.  All he said was "What
is holiday?"  By the end of that category, after learning the correct
fifth clue.

As to why computers have so much trouble with natural language, that's
an incredibly difficult problem to solve.  We don't know how people do
it.  It's not at all like chess, with its strict rules, restricted
board, and one clear goal.  I think it's amazing that they could make
Watson capable enough to compete on Jeopardy at a higher level than most
humans can, against humans.

                                Chick