[GLLUG] DVD ripping software

Marr wm33 at att.net
Thu Feb 17 22:25:39 EST 2011

On Wednesday 16 February 2011 23:12:54 Andy Ball wrote:
> I am looking to make some of my movie collection more portable for trips
> and such.  I want to be able to turn movies and TV series into avi files
> preferably.

Hi Andy,

I recently played around with 'dvd::rip', which depends on the 'transcode'
utility, and had good luck converting a commercial DVD to an AVI file to play
on a portable ATSC TV which also accepts SD card and USB media.

Here are the settings I used on dvd::rip's "Transcoder" tab when I did this
back in Nov 2010, in case it's helpful:

   Select container: AVI
   Video codec: xvid
   Video framerate: 29.970
   2-pass encoding: yes
   Deinterlace mode: No deinterlacing
   Video bitrate: 768 kbps

   Audio codec: mp3
   Bit-/Samplerate (audio): 96 kbps
   Sampling Freq: 24000 Hz (note that 22050 is not an option)
   Quality: 2 (this is not the same as '2-channel' audio, IIUC)

   Final video size (after crop/zoom/crop stage): 480x234

The correct settings were kind of critical to get the video to play back
properly, at least on the TV/player device I have. I suspect some other
settings would work too, but I didn't play around too much after I got
something that worked.

dvd::rip:

  http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

Transcode: