[GLLUG] Motherboard problem.

Phil Smith smithp67 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 12:51:13 EST 2011

Well I got my computer working again.  I purchased another stick of ddr2 ram and put it in and it started right up.

Previously, it would power on, but there was no post.  I was skeptical that the ram chip would simply cause it to not post, no beeps or anything.  I checked everything I could on the system and was ready to purchase a new bios chip if possible.

Once it was operational again, I looked at the bios.  In the bios there is the "Halt on" feature.  Mine was set to halt on any error other than keyboard.  I am assuming it was halted instead of going to post.  So that was stupid.  I set it now to "Halt on: No Errors" so if there are any in the future, it will just run until in can't anymore I guess.

Weird that the ram chip would go, this is a very low power system, no overclocking or anything and a low power Core Duo cpu.

Anyways, maybe this will help someone else.

Phillip Smyth