[GLLUG] [Bulk] Antec Drive Unmounting

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:34:48 EDT 2011

Just in case anyone else has a similar case, here's the solution to
removing components from the 5.25" drive bays when they use the
screwless drive rails.  Mine are plastic, light purple in color.

In the plastic front bezel (the front cover of the case that has the
hinged door in it) there are wide grooves in the plastic to the right of
each drive bay.  They look like someone pressed test tubes across the
plastic while it was still soft and left impressions.  Each groove
provides access to a little purple plastic tab that is part of the
screwless drive rail that was attached to the right (now outermost) side
of the component.  You press the tab towards the component.  The tab
appears to be the final locking mechanism for the drive bay, and then
the component can slide forward.

Antec's on-line support was useless, simply quoting the manual to me.
The manual says nothing about those tabs, or anything else about
removal; I still have my manual, and they sent me a PDF copy of it.
Even when I got a live support person on the line, he was walking me
through removing the front bezel when I noticed the purple tab next to
the CD-ROM drive, and he didn't know anything about it.  Since that
drive bay was the only one with that tab, I figured it had something to
do with the screwless drive rail and tried it out.  Viola!

So it turns out that sliding the drive out of the way is about a
two-second job.  Now onto switching out the battery.

                                Chick