[GLLUG] Network Manager & WPA

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 22:51:55 EDT 2011

I ran into a problem today with the nm-applet and I wonder if it rings
any bells for anyone.  I was using CrunchBang Linux, which is based upon
Debian, so I'm not very familiar with the inner workings.  I just know
that the Debian way of configuring things looks mighty strange to a
Slackware guy.

Anyway, I had been to a place that offered wifi access to customers with
WPA, and they gave me the passphrase.  It worked fine the first time I
tried it, about a month ago, and the nm-applet even asked me for the
passphrase, which I thought was slick.  I was back at that same place
today, and connected to the network without being asked for the
passphrase.  I tried to use web browsers, but they couldn't resolve
hostnames.  I tried elinks (CLI), Chromium, and Midori.  Same deal.
However, I could ping the same websites the browsers couldn't resolve,
without having to resort to IP addresses (which I don't have memorized,
anyway).  I tried traceroute, just for grins, but it seemed to dislike
having URLs as the only argument to the command; it worked fine with IP
addresses as the only argument, though.

I rebooted the PC into Arch Linux and configured (IIRC)
/etc/wpa_wireless.conf for the AP, it worked, and I went merrily on my
way.  Therefore, I know the correct passphrase.

What I'd like to know is if anyone can explain why nm-applet worked the
first time but not the second, and why ping could resolve hostnames but
web browsers couldn't.  I realize they use different protocols, but
wouldn't they both require DNS?  Any ideas?
--

                                Chick