[GLLUG] Stupid user story

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Tue Jul 26 00:59:17 EDT 2011

On 07/26/11 00:09, Stanley C. Mortel wrote:
> From Tech Republic
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-stupid-user-stories-the-madness-persists/2605?tag=nl.e101
>

>> One day, someone from another rural branch office called to tell me
>> that nobody was able to access the application that was used
>> throughout the facility. Since the problem affected everyone, I got
>> in the car and drove to the facility as quickly as I could. When I
>> got there, I discovered that the server was gone and that the server
>> room had been completely ransacked.
>>
>> I approached the director of the facility with my findings, and she
>> told me that she wanted a bigger office so she was commandeering the
>> server room. The server had been moved to the janitor’s closet, right
>> next to the mop sink.
>>
>> There were two reasons why the server wasn’t working. First, it was
>> plugged into an outlet that was connected to the light switch. Every
>> time someone turned out the closet lights, the server shut down.
>> Second, there were no network cables in the janitor’s closet. The
>> person who moved the server didn’t think that those “phone cords”
>> were important.
>>
> There are a few other good ones too.

OK, I have to share.

The following is true.  It's too strange not to be.  I will not say
where this happened.
Folks who know me know that I've done a lot of technical support, in
addition to
lots of other stuff.

Space Case calls me--

sc: Hello STeve?  I have a problem.

me: Hi <sc>.  What's the problem?

sc: My printer doesn't work (he's at home).

me: When did you last use it?

sc: I haven't.  It's a new printer.

me: OK, have you set it up?

sc: no...

me: What kind of interface does the printer have (He has a Thinkpad)?

sc: ah.......

me: It's likely USB.  Do you see that somewhere on the box?

sc: No.

me: Well it has to have some kind of interface so it can talk to the
        computer.  Did you get a cable with it?

sc: (random rustling sounds)
      Ah.........
       (rustle rustle)
     No.

me: All right, lets see if the printer says anything.  Turn it on.

sc: (pause) It's isn't doing anything.

me: Did you plug it in?

sc: It uses electricity?

At that point I had to put the phone down to stifle noises I was making,
and to obtain oxygen...

*sigh*

--STeve Andre'