[GLLUG] Mesh Networks

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sat Mar 19 23:34:49 EDT 2011

Satelite and any long range wireless (ex. Ham radio) would be
unaffected for outside links, though possibly text only speeds).
Also, standard 802.11 stuff is known to go for miles point to point
with a decent homemade antenna.  You only need to link close enough to
an area so people can physically get near a node (ex. sneakernet or
avian carrier).

Smtp and xmpp are already peer to peer, and could handle such a
network with minimal fus, plus there's always good old uucp and
fidonet if you have intermittent links.  Nobody really needs live web
access, as there are already smtp to www gateways in use since the bbs
days.

Sent from my mobile device