[GLLUG] ext4 Experiences

Marr wm33 at att.net
Sat Nov 5 17:06:19 EDT 2011

On Saturday 05 November 2011 13:18:23 Chick Tower wrote:
> Has anyone had any problems using ext4 filesystems?  If so, do you think
> it was caused by the filesystem or by something you did wrong?

I've been using 'ext4' on my root partition on my main PC (used daily) ever
since installing Slackware 13.1 back in Aug 2010 and I've had not a single
problem. Smooth sailing all the way. (Knocks on wood....)

One thing that I insist on (for over 10 years now) has been a good UPS
(Uninterruptable Power Supply). Every time a light bulb blows on any light
fixture that's on that same circuit, I can hear the UPS briefly kick in and I'm
glad it's there taking the surge instead of my PC. That goes double during
lightning storms and other weird "events" on the electrical power grid, not
even counting actual power outages. I use an APC "BackUPS Pro 650" model.

Just curious... What sort of filesystem difficulties did you encounter, Chick?
Simple corruption of data? Entire loss of files? Worse?

Bill