[GLLUG] Raspberry Pi, An ARM Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sat Oct 1 17:20:56 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Bryan Laur <bjlaur at mtu.edu> wrote:
> They need a dual gb ethernet version.
>
> Getting closer and closer to the ability to build your own router for under
> about the same price you can buy one.. And then put freebsd on it.

Another ethernet port can be plugged into the USB port. The existing
ethernet port is on the USB bus as well, so performance won't be
great. But you weren't ever going to be passing traffic through this
thing at line rate anyway.

> So, what are people thinking of using this for?

I might build a streaming audio client around it. Just general
tinkering otherwise.

> It's very cheap, but what do I need HDMI for?

It's intended to be a ridiculously cheap computer (by western
standards, I guess) for children to learn to program on. By including
composite and HDMI video outputs, it can be connected to the majority
of televisions worldwide.

> Am I lead to believe this can decode high def video?

It would appear so, as long as the codec is H.264. This may not have
been an intentional design decision, as it comes with the Broadcom
chip they chose.