[GLLUG] Raspberry Pi, An ARM Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

Bryan Laur bjlaur at mtu.edu
Sat Oct 1 22:46:05 EDT 2011

 > You need specialized hardware media encoders for HDMI capture onto
 > something as low bandwidth as gigabit ethernet.  The HDMI would only
 > be usable for output, or theoretically HDMI-CEC, although I don't know
 > what that would do to the cost.  If you want a router, there are some
 > existing OpenWRT ones for about $100 with similar specs.  I'm
 > personally still running a WRT54GS, but almost to the point of needing
 > an overclock.

I currently am using a WNDR3700 with OpenWRT on it, but you can't deny
that there would be significant advantages a router based on the
raspberrypi or similar.

For one, I would like to be able to run freeBSD on it and stray away
from the netfilter packages. Secondly, this device has alot more
horsepower than the average router. The ability to use it almost as a
full fledge server is attractive.