[GLLUG] Virtualization Questions

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 14:23:57 EDT 2011

Since I may someday have a PC capable of running virtual PCs, I've been
wondering about it.  I know I could read up on virtualization on the
internet, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to boost traffic on our
little mailing list.

Are there ready-made guest OS packages available, or do we have to
create our own?

To create a guest OS package (or container or whatever the nomenclature
is), is it necessary to create an empty one and then install an OS, or
can you clone an existing OS installation?

Is it possible to modify the saved version of a guest OS (such as for
software updates or configuration changes), or would you have to create
a new saved version?  I realize allowing the guest OS to permanently
modify itself could be considered a security risk (although
normally-installed OSes do it all the time), but it would be convenient.

Can a running instance of a guest OS save data in external filesystems?
  If so, can those external filesystems be simply mounted like any
other, or would it require some trickery?

I do not yet need to know the details of how to do the things I've asked
about.  I'm just curious as to how flexible virtualization is.
--

                                Chick