[GLLUG] Trouble Accessing external UDB hard drives from Western Digital

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:23:20 EDT 2011

mount will show you what's already mounted and to what mount point.

Someone suggested using "mount -a", but that's overkill.  If your mount
point for the external drive is already created, say as /mnt/exthd or
/media/exthd, and it's properly defined in /etc/fstab, then all you need
to do is "mount /media/exthd" after you plug in the hard drive and it's
recognized (which usually takes a few seconds).

If you want both external hard drives mounted at the same time, Dan,
then you might need to define them in /etc/fstab using UUIDs, or write
HAL rules to assign auto-mount points to them by identifying them.  The
HAL rules might not be able to distinguish between drives that are the
same brand and model, but I've never had that problem.  Or written those
HAL rules, either.   :)

Note that if you're going to use UUIDs in /etc/fstab, they change when
you format or reformat them, so get them formatted how you want beforehand.

                                Chick