[GLLUG] Funny things about groff_man(7) on Cygwin...

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Tue Oct 18 19:53:39 EDT 2011

So I've been trying to write some manpages, working on Windows XP + Cygwin,
and ran into a couple of "gotcha"s...

1.  man fails for some deeply-buried reason when told to display a nroff
file directly when the file is in a directory whose path contains spaces,
even if the path it's given is a relative path;  the workaround is to copy a
draft to a path that does not contain spaces,  and then call it against that
path.  Someone seems to have reported the bug and provided a patch back in
2004,  but the copy I have is not fixed yet...

http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg36390.html

2.  a lot of stuff works with "CR LF" line endings ... but the tbl(1)
package doesn't.

--
David L. Lambert <davidl at lmert.com> or <lamber45 at msu.edu>
  or <david.lee.lambert at acm.org>, formerly "as4109 at wayne.edu"