[GLLUG] Analysis of viruses on commercial operating systems

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sat Sep 17 21:48:54 EDT 2011

On 09/17/2011 06:42 PM, Taylor Burke wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Do any of you have any papers, presentations, or something along those
> lines detailing the amounts of viruses that exist for commercial OSes?
> I'm talking BSD, UNIX, Linux, Windows, and Mac, of course. It's for a
> class paper, so if any of you have any idea where I could find that
> information, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Arbor Networks frequently releases papers with surveys of malware, you
might try tooling around their website (www.arbornetworks.com),
especially the technical blogs. Full disclosure: they're my bread and
butter.  These reports will generally be focused on DDoS and similar
threats, because that's what they do.

Most of the major anti-virus providers also release such surveys.
Kaspersky in particular releases an annual survey, and Symantec may.

Clay