[GLLUG] FreeBSD has now removed almost all GNU/GPL'd code

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Fri Sep 23 09:07:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:44 AM, Philip J. Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Assuming a particular compiler is going to be used is a particularly stupid way to develop software.

Only to a point. Most open source software projects have the resources
to support only the build and execution environments that they care
about the most. When they end up with portions of code that rely upon
a specific compiler to build, I think this is generally more of an
accident than an intentional act. Most open source developers do this
stuff in their free time and don't have the resources to constantly
try their code in build environments that they don't use.

But here's the cool thing with open source: those that _do_ care about
other build environments have access to the whole codebase and can
pass along patches to make the project build in other environments
too.

Charles