[GLLUG] SQL/Oracle

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sat Apr 14 12:21:30 EDT 2012

On 4/14/2012 11:24 AM, Skip Ward wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I'm trying to get into SQL/ORACLE, any suggestions as far as
> websites or reference material would be helpful

Unless you have a specific need to learn Oracle intricacies, I'd start
by installing a copy of Postgres, as well as it's graphical client,
pgAdmin.

There's a book called SQL For Smarties that is good for learning basic
SQL, proper database design, and advanced database query techniques.
Joe Celko is the author.

With those two tools you'll be in good shape to learn most of what you
need about databases in general.

If you need Oracle specific information, I believe you can get a
developer's edition for free or low cost from Oracle.  But I wouldn't
start with Oracle.  It is designed specifically for very large
installations, and has some requirements and assumptions that are
overkill just for somebody trying to learn about databases.

Clay