[GLLUG] Scroogle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David L Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Sat Apr 21 07:31:47 EDT 2012

"Google denied targeting Scroogle, saying the site may have been triggering
automated anti-spam mechanisms.[5] In February 2012, Scroogle was shut down
by its creator.[17] Brandt blamed a DDoS attack by someone with 'a personal
vendetta' combined with throttling by Google for the site's demise."

So I think the field is still open for someone to create a similar site and
only allow access to people you trust...  although I guess that removes the
anonymity a bit.

Or,  perhaps he could have made it more reliable with some throttling,
caching, and filtering on his end;  although that too starts treading on the
"anonymity" factor.

I guess you can still split your searches between Goolge, Yahoo and Bing.
Wikipedia has site-internal search too,  that's probably a better place to
start when you just want to "google it" with a lower-case "g".