[GLLUG] Proposal: Discussion group

Stan Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Tue Apr 24 13:09:21 EDT 2012

I am interested in starting a discussion group focused on topics of
mutual interest relating to OSS and would like to invite members of
GLLUG (and beyond) to participate.  My idea is that it be a fairly
high-level endeavor (actually read the article with an eye toward
formulating insightful comments and intriguing questions), rather than
merely another social event.  Topical readings to be proposed by members
of the group.  (Anything too esoteric and not enough people will really
be interested.)  If the reading/discussion results in "actionable items"
we might be able to extend to lab work.  :-)

Meeting once per month seems about right.  I am willing to host them,
though we can move around if that is desired.  Time and day of week will
have to be worked out based on the schedules of those involved.  I don't
want to make it Thursday evening, as it would conflict with the GLLUG
meeting.  However, if that is the only time everyone has free, we could
become a splinter group one week per month.  (I have a feeling that
trying to conduct a discussion group during a regular GLLUG meeting
would degrade both.)  Just to throw something out there, I propose the
first Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m.

The article that prompted me to send out this invitation is:

"TaintDroid:  An Information-Flow Tracking System for Realtime Privacy
Monitoring on Smartphones"

http://appanalysis.org/tdroid10.pdf

and I would suggest it as our first reading.  It presents a means to
identify, track, and analyze outflow of sensitive information by Android
apps.

If you are interested, please contact me (probably off list is best,
though general questions might be better on-list so others can watch).

Stan