[GLLUG] "Whole Disk" RAID1 Setup

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Thu Aug 2 14:44:44 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-02 13:39, Chick Tower wrote:
> I found this article (see the URL below) on HowtoForge about setting
> up a RAID1 array on a running system.  My question is about the
> comment at the bottom of the first page of this article.  I've found
> mention of making a whole disk part of a RAID array, but no
> instructions.  Is anyone familiar with this?  Does anyone have any
> idea of what the commenter says is correct or accurate?  Thanks.

I've never tinkered with software RAID, but to me it does seem
pointless to partition each disk into three pieces and then join them
back up with software RAID. It's simpler to make each whole disk part of
the array and then partition the resulting block device according to
taste.

No idea if the commentor (commentator?) is correct, but it certainly
sounds logical.

Charles