[GLLUG] systemd Follies

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sat Aug 25 09:34:03 EDT 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 10:51 PM, Chick Tower wrote:
> A story about Arch Linux planning to adopt systemd for its initialization system prompted a lot of negative comments about systemd.  It looks like it will affect a lot of us because Red Hat wants to make it tie into other software, like Gnome 3.  You can read them here.

Systemd uses DBUS, which is also used by Gnome3 and a lot of other software, but I don't think that's really a valid criticism of systemd.  In fact, your link to the discussion about Arch Linux adopting systemd had links to a couple people complaining about the level of trolling about systemd that's going on in the mailing lists.  There's a lot of bad information going around.

I've been using systemd for the past year in Fedora, and to be honest, it's got a lot of advantages.  Systemd units are considerably less complex than the bash init scripts they replace, and startup speed really does improve.  Sure, the interface commands changed, but that's what you get for using a distro that is keeping close to the cutting edge.  If Red Hat is going to do anything, it'll be write compatibility interfaces for RHEL that'll make the old-timers happy.