[GLLUG] Level 13 Linux Administrator position available within IT Services at MSU

Jeffrey Quinn jq at msu.edu
Thu Dec 6 00:43:08 EST 2012

Hello GLLUG!

My name is Jeff Quinn, and I'm the supervisor of the Virtualization, Storage and Systems team within the IT Services Infrastructure group at Michigan State University. I wanted to make you all aware that my team just had a posting go up for a level 13 Linux Administrator.

My team manages MSU's central storage, backup, virtualization and server administration offerings: We have several VMware clusters running a wide variety of both managed and self-managed services and applications, NetApp, EMC and IBM storage arrays that support these clusters (and more), and a Commvault implementation for backups. The Linux position that I'm trying to fill would help support our managed RHEL server offering.

If working in a team that plays an integral role in supporting the technical infrastructure and operations of the university sounds appealing to you, please apply.

Benefits and details about working at MSU can be found hr.msu.edu/supportstaff.htm<http://hr.msu.edu/supportstaff.htm> , and details about the job (which I will also post below) can be found by searching the support staff area within jobs.msu.edu<https://jobs.msu.edu/> for posting number 7107.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you may have, and thank you for taking the time to read.

Jeff Quinn
Virtualization, Storage and Systems Team Leader
IT Services Infrastructure
jq at msu.edu
(517) 355-3422

Summary

Candidate will help design, document, administer, and operate complex Linux based environments for IT Services managed systems; configures system level software for monitoring and logging; be available for support and maintenance during off hours; will troubleshoot and support customer issues.

Minimum Qualifications

A bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or a related information technology field; five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience supporting a Unix or Linux server infrastructure and the client server applications running in that environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.

Desired Qualifications

Experience administering large scale Red Hat enterprise Linux systems including clustered environments and Oracle database servers; experience creating RPMs and managing a private update and software repository; knowledge of security policies, firewalls, VLANs, and network configuration; knowledge of scripting languages such as Bash, Perl, Ruby, and Python for task automation, and Web programming languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP; familiar with common networking protocols, firewall configuration, and troubleshooting; excellent deductive skills; understand and accept the need to support a 24/7 data center; strong oral and written communication skills; ability to work independently and with a team to accomplish complex tasks.