[GLLUG] Browser Follies

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:48:47 EST 2012

I spent almost the whole afternoon at a car repair shop getting my car's
exhaust system fixed.  They provided encrypted wireless access, using
WPA.  I had trouble using it, though, depending on what program I tried
to access external sites with.  I am wondering if anyone has any ideas
on why that might be.

On Arch Linux, I tried Midori, Dillo, uzbl, lynx, links, elinks, and
w3m.  I don't use Firefox, Chromium, or Konqueror on this laptop because
it only has 128MB of RAM, and Midori and uzbl sometimes exceed the PC's
resources.  Of those browsers, only Midori, uzbl, and links were
successful; the other browsers said they couldn't resolve the domain
names I tried.  I could always ping sites, but curl and wget didn't
work, and I only specified http URLs for them.  Gpodder couldn't connect
to the internet, either.  I ran a traceroute and it seemed to find the
site I specified, although I don't remember what it was.

On CrunchBang Linux, I tried an older version of Midori (#! is based on
Debian, after all), chimera2, and I think w3m.  The older Midori
couldn't resolve names, w3m failed again, but chimera2 worked.  I only
installed and tested chimera2 to see if it could work; it's the last
(Linux) web browser I would recommend to anyone, and I doubt it's being
developed any more.  Gpodder also failed, but I didn't try curl or wget.

It doesn't seem to be a matter of which browsers allow cookies and which
don't.  There isn't a sign-on or announcement screen like at the public
library.  I've known links to fail at the library while elinks worked,
and I think it's because elinks accepts cookies, but today the situation
was reversed for those two.

So, does anyone have any guesses as to what the problem was?  If not,
it's no big deal; I don't plan on spending much time there.  I'm just
curious.
--

                                Chick