[GLLUG] Minix 3.2.0 Release

Ben Chavez ebcha1974 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 29 08:17:21 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
Hi all,

We are pleased to present the MINIX 3.2.0 stable release. The major features
of this release are:

  * Clang is the default compiler (GCC is also supported)
  * NetBSD C library
  * ELF is the default executable format
  * Asynchronous, multithreaded virtual file system (VFS) server
  * FUSE support (GSOC project by Evgeniy Ivanov)
  * NetBSD password file format (part of GSOC project by Vivek Prakash)
  * NetBSD boot loader
  * ProcFS: /proc file system
  * Multithreading and NCQ support in the AHCI driver
  * Debugging Improvements
   * GDB and core dump support (GSOC project by Adriana Szekeres)
   * Block device tracing
  * New NetBSD userland utilities (part of them as a GSOC project by Vivek
Prakash)
  * Better reliability
   * Transparent recovery from block device driver crashes in file systems
   * Transparent retry upon failing block device I/O in file systems
   * New Faulty Block Device fault injection driver
   * Servers and drivers run as unprivileged users
  * Better virtualization support
   * Added libvassert, to enable easier support for VMWare VAssert
   * New !VirtualBox time sync driver

Other important differences:
  * The MINIX project now uses `git` as its version-control system

To find out more about this release, please see
http://wiki.minix3.org/en/MinixReleases. You can grab the ISO image from the
download page: http://www.minix3.org/download.

Just like last year we would like to thank our Google Summer of Code
students for their hard work this summer. Thanks also to Google for
generously supporting our students while they hacked on MINIX. We are also
grateful to the MINIX community for all your contributions and feedback. We
couldn't have done this release without your help. We hope you enjoy the new
release.