[GLLUG] Please lecture me in Network Files Sharing

Barry Tigner tigner at msu.edu
Sun Jan 15 08:33:17 EST 2012

Hi Ben,

Do you have gvfs installed ?

I am now running FBSD 9.0 AMD64. My SMB browsing works fine with XFCE4
 Thunar 4.8 . I see on my Thunar window side pane "Network".

When I click on "Network" I see a list of SMB shares on other machines
here in my building on campus. At the top of the list is
"Windows Network". When I click on it I see a list of workgroup names.
I can see the local shares I have on another XP box here and connect
to it fine. I have my local shares shared by username and password.
It is not the most secure way to do it , but it works.

If you have already gvfs installed, try setting an environment variable
for your xsession before you start xfce4.

If you use the sh shell

DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
export DISPLAY

if you use csh/tcsh

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0

good luck,

on my machine when I type the ps -ax |grep gvfs in a terminal window
I get the following list...

> ps -ax |grep gvfs
 3595  ??  S        0:00.02 /usr/local/libexec/gvfsd
 3597  ??  S        0:00.04 /usr/local/libexec/gvfsd-trash
--spawner :1.79 /org
 3599  ??  I        0:00.05 /usr/local/libexec/gvfsd-network
--spawner :1.79 /o
 3603  ??  I        0:00.10 /usr/local/libexec/gvfsd-smb-browse
--spawner :1.79
 3607  ??  I        0:00.01 /usr/local/libexec/gvfsd-dnssd
--spawner :1.79 /org
 3623  ??  I        0:07.14 /usr/local/libexec/gvfsd-smb
--spawner :1.79 /org/g
95300  ??  S        0:00.07 /usr/local/libexec/gvfs-hal-volume-monitor
95306  ??  I
0:00.01 /usr/local/libexec/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
 3654   0  S+       0:00.00 grep gvfs

Barry

--
Barry Tigner
MSU PA Electronics Design and Service Ctr.
Email: tigner at msu.edu
Phone: 517-884-5538