[GLLUG] Unreadable partition

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sat Jul 14 01:10:17 EDT 2012

A few days ago, I had a couple year old software raid set fail in a
most peculiar way....  I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion
other than back everything up and wipe the drives.

I'm running three different raid sets on this array of 4 disks, with
each in it's own partition.  The md8 set uses /dev/sd[abcd]8, md9 uses
/dev/sd[abcd]9, etc.  Well, only the md9 set failed, and I tracked it
back to the kernel seeing IO errors on /dev/sdc9.  The strange part is
it sees errors only on that partition, and the problems are exactly at
the logical boundary (I can dd all of the previous partition, but
immediately get read errors on /dev/sdc9).  Smartctl tests all
indicate the drive is fine, and if connect the drive to another
machine, that partition is readable.  I've also tried moving that
drive to a different cable and port on the motherboard, but no change.

It's running an old 2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb kernel from Mandriva, and I
was trying to get at the data to start moving stuff over to another
box.

The other raid sets are running a resync now as a result of my
diagnostics, so I should be able to poke around a bit more in a couple
days.  Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Rick