[GLLUG] Low-power Home Server

Tom Schouten tom at zwizwa.be
Sun Jul 29 10:58:59 EDT 2012

Looks like this is the problem.

 > The usual reason for "out of memory" when running rsync is that you
 > are transferring a _very_ large number of files.  The size of the
 > files doesn't matter, only the total number of files.
 > http://www.infoscience.co.jp/technical/rsync/original/FAQ.html

The problem only popped up after trying to back up my main PC.
All the other backups are server VMs and a lot smaller in size.

I ran into an additional problem: e2fsck uses a lot of memory on large
file systems.
It didn't work on the router, so I checked on a PC and the resident
memory size for checking a 2G partition is 187m.