[GLLUG] So the new Macbook Pro...

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jun 14 08:42:26 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:10:41PM -0500, Eduardo Cesconetto wrote:
> 5- Life cycle of Apple laptops is waaaaayyyyyy longer then any PC
> laptop BECAUSE they are built better…

Just for a reference, my wife and I are still using the 12" MacBooks I
bought in 2006, running the latest operating system.

I did end up buying new hard disks for them last year, but only
because the original 70G disks were just getting too small and I could
easily replace them with 500G disks (I got the hybrid SSD/spinning
disk kind).

I plan on putting the next OS on it too.  It does have the Intel GMA
950 so it can't play many games, but it's a fine laptop.

I do have a home-built workstation at home too, for anything that
requires actual "work", I probably won't ever get an Apple desktop
computer again.  The last Apple-branded desktop I bought was a
Performa 645 during college, so I'm quite aware of crappy Apple
hardware.

However, I've been working with laptops (at job) for a while and the
combination of MacOSX and Apple hardware has always been quite good,
and as long as you're happy with the limited upgradability, they do
last longer than any other vendor's laptops I've ever worked on.
Sadly, I think the "ultrabook" form factor is extremely limited in
upgradability in a lot of vendor's offerings.  I have a Dell XPS-13
ultrabook at work and while a very spiffy system, it's also very
limited in what I can do to upgrade it.