[GLLUG] Questions about shell scripting

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jun 15 08:49:33 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:09:37AM -0400, David Lee Lambert wrote:
> 3.  perl or python (as long as I use only vendor-supplied modules,  that
> is,  what comes with RedHat;  random stuff from CPAN would technically
> require a long approval process from some lawyers).

If you know perl or python, they both contain functions for handling
running processes and watching for them to return.  In python, the
'subprocess' library (http://docs.python.org/library/subprocess.html)
is pretty handy for handling this kind of thing.  In Perl and Python,
there are function calls that are functionally equivalent to what
you'd do in C.  Perl also has a bunch of different modules for running
subprocesses, but I can't remember if any of them are Core libraries
(aka part of the basic perl package in RHEL5), but I suspect not.