[GLLUG] Low-power Home Server

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Mon Jun 18 10:33:40 EDT 2012

On 2012-06-18 8:23, Tom Schouten wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Recently I've been doing some math and found out that running a 100W
> machine 24/7 at my parent's back home cost me about 150 Euros/year
> (Belgian electricity is quite expensive, about 20 Eurocents/kWh more
> than double of what it is here).  The 100W was measured with power
> meter over period of 24h so is probably quite accurate.  Includes PC,
> GB ethernet switch + wireless router.

[snip]

Given all the tasks the current machine is performing, I assume a cheap
ARM device, like a PogoPlug or whatever, is out of the question.

There were some suggestions for a Mac Mini @ 85W, but it's easy to do
better both in terms of efficiency and price if you're willing to build
the machine.

My home server runs a 64-bit dual-core Intel Atom motherboard. With two
spinning disks, it pulls between 43 and 45W under load. The disks
account for a lot of that, obviously. If you had a single 2.5" disk, I'd
expect you could get under 30W no problem.

Similar motherboards seem to sell for between $70 and $150. Add around
$100 if you want a small form-factor case and power supply. They
typically come with the CPU, but not memory. You do have to be a little
careful because the quality of these can vary widely. Mine, for example,
refuses to boot from certain hard disks. But like anything else, you
have to do your research.

Charles