[GLLUG] [GRLUG] Linux and multiple monitors

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Tue Jun 19 10:59:55 EDT 2012

On 2012-06-19 3:29, Robar Philip wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:48 PM, "Mike" <ironmike52 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One other problem I have with linux is that I have two monitors and
>> I can setup them to work right or almost right (would like main screen
>> on my larger lcd) but I can’t seem to save the setup and must do it
>> every time I log in.

[snip]

> Given that UNIX workstations with the X Window System have supported
> multiple monitors for decades (albeit not as well as Apple and Mac
> OS), it amazes me that this is still an issue on Linux today.

Agree wholeheartedly. There was a time where multiple monitor setups
were pretty well supported, but that seems to have regressed. I think
the availability of large widescreen monitors means that volunteer
developers haven't been paying as much attention to multiple monitor
setups.

That said, I've tried all of the recent Linux desktops and the only one
which does seem to still have good multi-head support is GNOME 2 (now
MATE). System -> Preferences -> Monitors lets you configure them however
you like with no fuss. What's really nice is on my laptop, I can
disconnect and reconnect the external monitor and all of my windows and
desktop widgets automatically move to wherever I had them before. Very
nice. The only drawback is when some fullscreen applications exit, I
sometimes have to go re-enable the second monitor by hand.

Charles