[GLLUG] [GRLUG] Linux and multiple monitors

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Jun 19 11:15:38 EDT 2012

On 6/19/12 10:59 AM, Charles Ulrich wrote:
> That said, I've tried all of the recent Linux desktops and the only
> one which does seem to still have good multi-head support is GNOME 2
> (now MATE). System -> Preferences -> Monitors lets you configure them
> however you like with no fuss. What's really nice is on my laptop, I
> can disconnect and reconnect the external monitor and all of my
> windows and desktop widgets automatically move to wherever I had them
> before. Very nice. The only drawback is when some fullscreen
> applications exit, I sometimes have to go re-enable the second monitor
> by hand.
I've had excellent luck using multiple monitors from my laptop with
KDE.  It's as painless as on my mac.  There are some things I like a lot
better about it.  There is a problem that it will sometimes kick into
mirroring mode if I restart the laptop with the second monitor attached,
but I'm not certain that isn't a hardware issue.  Laptop dual-monitor
hardware has always been slightly flaky.

Clay